Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Victory Hotel

I have a memory like an elephant I always say,and remember things which most contemporaries have forgotten.Its a boon sometimes,at others an uneccessary cabinet full of grey dusty files.I still remember the Poona I loved so much with its old world buildings and alleys behind Main Street.The low roof houses with wooden slats through which you could see the Parsi residents sitting on reclining chairs reading the sunday papers.I remember the smell of fresh baked bread from the many Irani bakeries and the cold winters when temperatures dropped to near freezing.But most of all I remember Victory Hotel.Dont know where to begin because its a place I virtually called home for several years.In fact it was not a Hotel at all but a section of a rickety one storey building,partitioned off on the top floor to make several small cubicles on one side, leaving a large open area for a restaurant.The cubicles were rented out to bachelors and students on a monthly basis and the tarrif included food.The ground floor was partly occupied by the landlord Sebastian D'Lima , wife and brood of 5 children.A large, adjacent independent "suite" was carved out for a long time resident Dr Benjamin.More of him later.How I landed up there is another story,but the fact is I came for a week and stayed for years.Why one may ask.The awful food,unrelenting bed bugs,lack of regular water and clean toilet facilities and Sebastain with his middle parted hair , Hitler moustache and constant whining were enough to drive anyone away.But Victory had something to die for.......location,location,location.It was open to a broad uncrowded road in the heart of the camp area.Next to the West End movie theatre and a hundred yards from Main street.Everything was within a stones throw.Plus the fact that the company was interesting.....other students,older guys,transients,regulars.It was an amazing experience.One that I wouldnt miss for the world.So because its been such a part of my life I will talk about some of my experiences there.I might go back and forth but forgive the rambling because its a slice of life......

No comments:

Post a Comment